Skip to content
What Do You Want To Sustain?
- Without context, sustainability is a useless word.Without context, sustainability is a useless word. It is similar to words like conservation or durability. Without knowing what you want to conserve, the word doesn’t have any meaning.
What Does Sustainability Mean?
Sustainability is simply the ability to sustain something. To sustain something, we must prolong it indefinitely, which begs the obvious question: what is it that we want to sustain? Do we want to sustain our consumer lifestyle, our growth-based economic system, or our control over other nations’ resources? Sustainability, therefore, is the discussion around our ability to sustain something given the resources we have available. So often, we hear the word “sustainability” without context, which can lead to some pretty confusing scenarios.
ref./source: Sustainability Begs A Question: What Do You Want To Sustain?
info: Future Of Employment
Science Is Getting Less Bang for Its Buck
Public Domain / Open source
- BenefitsOPEN SOURCE (OS) IS CROWD-SOURCED Cost, flexibility, freedom, security, and accountability – that are unsurpassed by proprietary solutions. OS also has long-term viability and is always on the cutting-edge of technology. It’s created and supported by a worldwide community of organizations and individuals, many of whom also live by open source values like collaboration and volunteerism.
- CostThe vast majority of OS is freely distributed. But OSS is said to be -free as in kittens- and not -free as in beer- – it requires maintenance, configuration, and ongoing support. The trade-off is flexibility and freedom. Unlike closed proprietary solutions, OSS can be altered and extended by any developer familiar with the source code. This grants organizations freedom from -vendor lock-in- and assures long-term viability. A widely adopted OS project is often supported by hundreds or thousands of capable contributors.
- SUPPORTED BY A COMMUNITYThese same development shops are constantly reviewing the OSS code they support, as are thousands of independent developers working on the project worldwide. The result is a vast peer review process that ensures security and accountability. Security holes are found and fixed quickly. While anyone can research shops and developers based on the quality of code they write.
- STRONG VALUESAnd more often than not, OSS shops and developers hold similar values. In all aspects of life, they are advocates for more community participation, collaboration, and volunteerism. They believe in working together to build free, high quality products that are accessible to for-profit and nonprofit organizations alike. This belief underlines the mission of the best OSS shops and developers. It pushes them to build new features and contribute these features back to the community. As a direct result, popular OS projects are always on the cutting-edge of technology.
- Paradigm ShiftTechnologies and architectures sometimes grow stagnant, and open source projects with fresh thinking can drive sea change. Because whrn technologies are released as open source, the entire ecosystem is able to move forward together, rather than just ‘near by’ domain and its users.
The case for open source appropriate technology
Even a superficial review of global environmental conditions results in a rather bleak outlook for the sustainability of the world’s major ecological systems. Simultaneously, billions are mired in poverty, and even those in the developed rich countries find their economic situations uncomfortably precarious. The optimists’ position is that accelerated progress in technology will rescue global society even from global-scale problems like climate destabilization. Support for this position is legion. It is undeniable that technological development has provided great benefits to humankind in medicine and many other fields, and technology is indeed developing faster now than ever before. There are more PhDs, scientists, and engineers working now than the world has ever seen. More papers are being written and new scientific journals are proliferating at an astounding rate.1 Unfortunately, the vast majority of this research, and the knowledge created, is not focused on problems related to sustainable development and surprisingly, even much of it, that is, is effectively removed from deployment by intellectual property law (e.g. patents, copyrights, and trademarks) (Pearce and Mushtaq 2009). The results of this restricted and closed model of technological development are the widespread poverty and environmental desecration seen around the globe, which is directly responsible for a morally and ethically unacceptable level of human suffering and death.
A neutral technical assessment finds that open source software, developed mostly by unpaid volunteers, is often of superior quality to the software developed by one of the most powerful companies in the history of the world employing unquestionably extremely intelligent people (Bonaccorsi and Rossi 2003). This remarkable result stands against conventional wisdom that would argue the profit motive, and market forces
Throughout the world, there exist research institutes, community groups, and non-governmental organizations working with different technological innovations to alleviate poverty and mitigate the destruction caused by excesses of consumer culture. For the most part, they remain disconnected, often re-inventing the proverbial wheel again and again although their counterparts in another part of the world may have already designed and debugged a similar technology. Clearly, appropriate technology development could benefit greatly from the application of an open source model. OSAT could fall within the legal framework of an AT General Public License (GPL), where those plans can be used freely, modified, and republished under the same AT GPL for those in the future all over the world to benefit from
Consider the effect of open source appropriate technology taking hold creating a vibrant virtual community to share OSAT plans and experiences. OSAT venues like Appropedia are enabling designers and field workers to download plans of water pumps, wind mills, basic medicines, passive solar, and many other appropriate technologies. In this way, open source appropriate technology will become a true rival to the paradigms of the development of technology that have dominated civilization since the industrial revolution. A new revolution built on a dispersed network of innovators, inventors, and researchers working together to create a just sustainable world will be created.
Volunteering / Collaboration / Local Resource / Global Reach
Shareware / Donatioware / Freeware
- What does Donationware mean?Donationware is a product that is offered to the public for free, along with requests for optional donations. Donationware is commonly considered a type of freeware because users can obtain the full product without paying for a license. One way to think about donationware is that a developer can operate on a lean business model. Donationware can also be a way to promote a particular design philosophy that could be called collaborative.
Donationware offers an alternative model for those who want to collect money to offset the cost of creating software products. One way to think about donationware is that a developer or small company can operate on a lean business model where, instead of paying for all of the costs involved in selling software, developers can simply distribute programs for free and ask for donations from users to cover nominal costs. Because the upfront, overhead cost is lower, those who make donationware may be able to recoup costs through donations. Donationware also helps get around the issue of piracy.
Donationware can also be a way to promote a particular design philosophy in IT that could be called collaborative. One example is the Ubuntu Linux product offered by Canonical. The idea is that while users often get involved in the development of software through testing, providing input, or otherwise interacting with software products, they can also assist by effectively crowdfunding a new software product or version. ref./sourceSo it goes with the positive quality of giving credit to others when it is certainly due. Whether it is by the laws of the land, the owner’s right, or because you appreciate it dignifies the person/organization. It makes us all better humans when we are willing and able to recognize the work of others. Yes, continue giving credit where it is certainly due. ref/sourceThe Donationware system has, in fact, a number of advantages when you wish to sell your software worldwide. Making a fixed price is problematic on a worldwide scale because the buying power and currencies vary from one user to another. The Donationware system allows the user to adapt the price according to his own economical situation.
The idea behind the Donationware system, other than the wish to allow the software accessible to all, is also to create a new economical system that gives the responsibility to the user. Therefore, he can choose to fix his own estimated license price according to his means, to the service gained, and to his wish to support our Research and Development team. He can do this as many times as he wishes. Some users even make a fixed monthly donation, as though it was a SAAS license. ref./sourceWhen Do Users Donate? Experiments with Donationware
Anyone Actually Donates?
When Do Users Donate
- Underlying FoundationSelf-sufficiency is the state of not requiring any aid, support, or interaction for survival; it is a type of personal or collective autonomy. On a personal scale, a totally self-sufficient individual that does not heavily relay on contemporary systems for common life activities. Without a self sufficient individual, there is not a much chance for a sustainable world in a long run.
Interested to contibute?